Pastel de Tres Leches (Spanish) - Three Milk Cake (English)
This is my husbands favorite cake of all time.
It's origin is disputed by many but some say it originated in Nicaragua, others say Mexico or Costa Rica. No matter where it came from it is a fantastic dessert, and it's simple to make.
It's a sponge cake soaked with three kinds of milk then topped with whipped cream and fruit if you like. I have tried many recipes but this one is my favorite. It's best made early in the day or the day before.
Click on picture above to see how the milk has absorbed into the cake.
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups whole milk
1-14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1-12 oz. can evaporated milk
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 f. Grease and flour (or use cooking spray) a 13X9 inch baking pan.
2. In a small bowl using a whisk mix flour and baking powder together, set aside
3. In a medium bowl with a hand mixer cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs one at a time mixing well between each egg.
4. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture 2 tablespoons at a time, mix until well blended. Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
5. Bake at 350 f. for 20-25 minutes or until it springs back when lightly touched in middle. Cool
6. Pierce several times all over the cake with a fork.
7. Combine milk, evaporated milk, and condensed milk together. *Pour all of the milk mixture slowly over the top.
8. Whip the whipping cream with 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup of sugar until fairly stiff. Spread over the top of the cake. Garnish if desired with fresh fruit, or canned mandarin oranges, maraschino cherries, pineapple etc.... or you can sprinkle with chopped nuts instead. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
*yes use all the milk mixture. Most of it will soak in, but it is normal for the cake to have some milk on the bottom as you serve it. Enjoy!